Tuesday, June 24, 2008

All Squat. No Pee.

Oh sure, it’s all cone-headed fun and low-impact post-spay games until Ella gets a urinary tract infection.

Uggh. At least I’m hoping that’s all it is.

Momma had a meltdown at midnight last night as Ella, having just gotten up on the bed to go beddy-byes (that’s what we call it), lost it and peed ALL OVER the bed…soaked the silk comforter, the blanket, the sheets, the featherbed…fortunately my penchant for bedding layers saved the mattress from urinary destruction. I guess that’s something.

The night before, Ella put her front paws up on the bed and peed like a male dog all over the side of the bed and the bed skirt (What the hell does she have against this bed???). An hour later, she left another puddle by my desk.

It’s looking like Ella may need to wear diapers after all. (This sounded much more glamorous several days ago...can't a girl make a few diaper jokes without getting punished for it?)

Anyway, aside from peeing in the shoebox, Ella’s other major symptom is her incessant and totally futile squatting on walks. Here’s what it looks like…

squat…



...keep squatting…



...lean to the side to try to work it out…


...give up and move on, only to repeat the process minutes later. It's really a sad sight to see. UTIs are awful, we've all been there...I peer underneath her each time to see if there's any action - the dribbles are the worst, and I find myself trying to pee for her (i have to be careful not to try too hard).

Anyway, Dr. Jackson prescribed her some antibiotics and didn't seem too concerned at this point. She said it's a common occurrence in puppies who've been spayed, so we’ll see how things go for the next few days…and in the meantime, I’m lining everything in my apartment with plastic…and starting my research on designer doggie depends, just in case (God forbid!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Ella!!!! I hope the antibiotics work for her and that she's back to peeing like a good girl in no time. I'll be sending cranberry juice thoughts her way today.

Anonymous said...

would you recommend your vet to others?

Tricia said...

Yes, I would recommend her - we see Dr. Jackson at the Center for Veterinary Care on East 75th Street. They've been great!

Mac or PC?

I am not ashamed to say that I am a dork. An internet geek. Next to Ella, my computer is my best friend. And it's one of the best fri...