Thursday, January 31, 2008

A quickie on canine obesity

In preparation for the arrival of my pup, I've been doing a lot of research on Golden Retrievers and their potential health issues. One of those health issues is a predisposition to become overweight, which can lead to, or at the very least exacerbate, other ailments like hip dysplasia. So, I'm prepared to do my part to make sure my pup stays lean and mean.

Anyway, at the risk of jumping on the "Let's cure America of obesity" train, I thought I'd mention that February is National Canine Weight Check month. Yes folks, even America's dogs are fat. Apparently, at least 40% of our dogs are overweight or obese.

"A recent study conducted by Pfizer Animal Health found that veterinarians consider 47% of their patients overweight or obese but only 17% of dog owners think the same."

Why the difference of opinion? Well, could be denial...or could be that we Americans like our pups with meat on their bones and so don't consider them overweight...just "spoiled".

At any rate, I'm a big proponent of keeping yourselves and your pups healthy and fit. I encourage you to visit this website to learn more about how to assess your dog's health.

Or, if you don't feel like it, just grab your pup and go for a walk!

No comments:

Mac or PC?

I am not ashamed to say that I am a dork. An internet geek. Next to Ella, my computer is my best friend. And it's one of the best fri...